Saturday, September 7, 2013

Helping others live healthy...

I’ve had many jobs..to name a few..Babysitting, Nanny, Bagel Shop worker, Lifeguard/swim instructor, computer tech, general education teacher, candy striper, special education teacher, wellness coach, school administrator..and well MOM! Many of these jobs have been challenging in different ways. My most favorite job is being a Mom. Although this job takes an intense amount of patience, consistency and stregnth. And my kids are amazing..They really are amazing. They’ve always slept through night. They take 2-3 hour naps everyday on cue. They are easier than any other child I’ve ever cared for.  But each day has its challenges. I have an almost 2.5 year old and she tests her limits everyday all day. However, it is my job as her Mother to provide consistent structure throughout the day. If I set up a limit I have to follow through no matter what. Parents shape behavior 24/7 from the moment their child is born.  Every move you make, or don’t make shapes behavior. I try to be consistent when setting limits.  A big part of setting limits is warning my daughter about what is to come. Reminding her about transitions and letting her know what to expect. If I don’t follow through, she turns around and tries it again because she has learned that she can get away with it. No matter how big or small a behavior I must be consistent and follow through. Every child needs structure. My daughter will throw a fit at times but my response to that fit is crucial. Stay calm, remain in control and continue with the limit.  Parenting isn’t easy and there aren’t really any classes teaching you how to be a perfect parent. We all make mistakes. But if there is one thing you can do to be successful and have your children  be successful is to shape their behavior by being consistent and providing them with structure. They learn from you every minute of the day, even while they are sleeping!

No comments:

Post a Comment