Thursday, October 24, 2013

Do you like Packing for Travel.....I don't when its my wife!

This is an original written by the Wife..........No Editing

Why is packing such a nightmare? It doesn't matter where I am going or the number of days I will be away or how early I start planning, I pack in the middle of night for hours!!  By the time I am finished with multiple revisions to what I pack, I have very little time for sleep, I usually pull an overnighter or if I am lucky I get 2 hours z time. And OMG when I get up I realize yet again that I have packed way too much and my level of stress reaches an all time high in My crazy attempt to filter out more clothes, shoes, toiletries and jackets that I don't need or probably will never get around to wearing. 

Now multiply my frenzy and stress level by a 1000.  Why? Because in the middle of repacking, I also have to make sure I have everything for myself and and pack for my beloved husband , feed him and the cat, and maybe later for me, leave the house clean, think of every possible what if scenario, take care of my beautiful cat, including litter, set up the food , instructions for the pet sitter, leave a check, make sure all garbage is out, no dishes in sink, appropriate lights on, set the temperature, get the car ready,  make sure all toilets are flushed, no clothes left in the washing machine, and start putting the bags in the car. Now all this may seem like it's no big deal, and generally I get it done, but I FORGOT TO MENTION that during this mad dash for the door, I get more tasks to do from my hubby, with the wonderful background music of "we are going to be late"  while he is watching me run around the house getting things done.! 

Now we are in the car,  I am driving and I can physically feel my stress pulsating and I wonder to myself, how much damage is this causing me? Am I taking years off my life?  Each time after the madness, I say to myself, I have to plan earlier, pack earlier, get help, whatever, sane things I think of at the time to help change this pattern.  But before I know it, another trip is around the corner, and OH YEAH,  maybe my husband thinks that  I love not sleeping!!!

So, then I ask myself is this normal? Do other people have a similar experience packing for a trip? What is my problem? Do I need smaller, efficient luggage, do I need to take a travel/packing course? Does my husband need to take that course with me?  Does every husband expect his wife to pack for him?  Do I need to stop worrying about having everything with me?  Should I let go of the what if and having choices scenarios?  Or is it that I feel that I need to have most familiar things around me  when away, or perhaps it just comes down to not being able to make efficient decisions when planning a trip, choosing clothes, packing or do I need to let go, stop being a control freak and allow myself to ask my husband for help and not feel guilty for bothering him and not being able to get it done?  Is there a key communication skill that I don't have that confers to

I don't know the answers to all these questions, but what I do know is that there has to be a less stressful and more efficient way of getting ready for a trip. 

Now that I am in the sane phase, I think not. 

Since her husband is the one posting this and having read parts of it. This is INSANE!!! I LIVE IT

No comments:

Post a Comment